Kentucky election law requires a two-step process for voting absentee:
- For each election in which you wish to vote, you must obtain, complete and return an Absentee Ballot Application to request an absentee ballot. This application must be returned to our office no later than close-of-business 7 days before the election.
- Upon receipt of your completed application, we are required to mail the ballot to you within 72 hours. The ballot must be returned to the County Clerk's Office by mail, and received no later than 6:00 PM on Election Day.
Kentucky law allows mailing an absentee ballot to voters who meet the following criteria:
- Person who, due to age, disability or illness will be unable to go to the polls on Election Day.
- Student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered.
- Voter who temporarily resides outside the state but is still eligible to vote in this state.
- Person who is incarcerated in jail and has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime.
- Person whose employment requires him/her to be absent from the county all hours and all days absentee voting by machine is conducted.
- Military personnel confined to a military base on Election Day.
- Voter who moved to another state after its voter registration books closed. Presidential Election Only.
- Person who is a participant in the Office of the Secretary of State's address confidentiality program.
Qualified voters may pick up their absentee ballot application, in person, at any Jefferson County Clerk's Motor Vehicle Office, otherwise only the voter or the voter's spouse, parent or child can request an application for a mail-in absentee ballot.
Both the application and the ballot can only be mailed directly to the voter. No absentee ballot shall be mailed to a voter's Jefferson County address except to those voters who qualify for reasons listed in numbers 1 and 5.
Absentee ballot applications may also be requested by mail, fax, phone or e-mail. To request an application for an absentee mail-in ballot, click here: https://www.jeffersoncountyclerk.org/AbsAppRequest.
Some voters may qualify to vote at the Election Center before Election Day. In-House Voting, Dates and Times
Jefferson County Clerk's Office
701 W Ormsby Ave., Ste 301
Louisville, KY 40203